Monday 14 May 2012

Interview! Zameeruddin Shah vows to maintain discipline in AMU at any cost

0
The Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) has always been in news for indiscipline, factionalism and campus violence. The firing between two groups a week ago and image slandering campaign against those in race for the new vice-chancellor's post are the recent examples. Notwithstanding this background, incumbent Vice Chancellor Zameeruddin Shah has vowed to maintain discipline in the campus at any cost.

Lt. Gen Zameeruddin Shah - VC of AMU


"I am going to use whatever I have learnt (while in army) to carry everybody with me. I am going to ensure that there is a fair play. I am going to ensure that the rules are kept and above all I am going to ensure discipline. Because without discipline, you cannot achieve anything!", Zameeruddin Shah - a former lieutenant general, said in his first media interaction after being appointed on Friday as the 38th Vice Chancellor of AMU.

"I am going to ensure that classes are run on time. I want to make sure that the teachers have their lesson plan. It will only be done through discipline. If you are undisciplined, you are not going to reach anywhere", he said while talking to Aziz Haider of RNI News Agency.

Unveiling his priorities as the Vice Chancellor, he said, "My thrust area is to get people into the premier jobs – the best and most sought after jobs of the country. Also my thrust will be to get young boys from AMU into the armed forces because that is the place which will strengthen them, give them respect and also be appreciated by the whole country."

Stating that the community wants him to make sure that the University reaches the pinnacle and becomes the leading university of the country, he said, "I will make sure that its boys are given opportunity and training to join the central services and to join the armed forces and the police and the industry comes in droves to recruit boys from our university."

In reply to a question that he might face resistance from the "troublemakers", the former army men said, "No, because the people are going to appreciate. I am going to set the example. If I am not punctual, I cannot expect it from others. Army teaches you to lead by personal example. Our motto is ‘follow me’.

"When you are going under fire, then too you have to lead. Inshallah, I will lead here as well. You will find that I will not be found wanting in any aspect. I will lead. And people will see and they will appreciate."

On "groups" who always create troubles whenever anyone tries to do something good for the university, Shah, who has been Defence Attache in Saudi Arabia said, "I was not aware of all this. But during the selection process I did get to know that there are so many camps."

Terming it an advantage that he does not carry "any AMU baggage", he said, "I have never been associated (with the AMU). I have no interests. I have no relatives in the academic body. So I have no interest other than betterment of AMU.

On factionalism in the university campus he said, "I am not going to be associated with any of the groups. I am going to be neutral. I know how to do it. Otherwise I couldn’t have led soldiers. I am not going to be influenced with any of the groups. I am only going to be influenced by what is better for the betterment of the university."

On the ugly campaign on internet to malign his image while the selection procedure for the new vice chancellor was on, he said, "Internet is full of slander against me and my family. But I have kept quiet. I feel very sad that people have to revert to slander campaign. It was a personal attack not only on me but also on my family. I am sure people will realize and feel sorry of what they did to me."

Shah, however, maintained a studied silence on the establishment of AMU off campus centers - one of the most controversial issues during the last VC's tenure.

"Matter of the center is a controversial issue. I would not like to comment. Let me go and study the pros and cons and what the Muslim community act says. Then only will I take a stand. At this moment I do not like to comment. Because I know there are very divergent views. I will attend to it when I have studied", he said.

Note: This interview is picked from Ummid.com
Author Image
AboutMd Mudassir Alam

Soratemplates is a blogger resources site is a provider of high quality blogger template with premium looking layout and robust design

No comments:

Post a Comment